How to get rid of yellow jackets, the safe way? There are a few different ways to get rid of them, but be aware that they are more than likely going to attack while in the process. With that said, please do not in any way go around the nest if you are allergic. Allow someone else to take on the task if you have the slightest allergy to them, because it could cause you pain or even your life.
The different ways to get them to stop pestering you are to kill them using a chemical spray, gasoline and fire, or even using a trap. The best way to go about this would probably be to use either the spray or the gasoline. These two methods seem to be more effective than the traps. Not to mention, they seem to have a much faster effect on the pests than the traps do. Before reading the following, be sure to take your time when reading it and get all of the information packed into your brain. You don’t need any mistakes when doing this. It should be a smooth task to do, if done properly.
Precautionary steps to take on how to get rid of yellow jackets without getting hurt (Stung)
Have you ever found a bee hanging out around the hummingbird feeder? This is because bees usually go after sweets. If not sweets, they go for any type of protein they can find. (Meats) So be aware of this when you decide to eat watermelon outside in the middle of summer. That is just asking for trouble.
* Keep all outside garbage bins sealed tightly so that the yellow jackets aren’t attracted to any sugars, sweets, proteins or other foods in the trash. The more sugar and proteins that the bees can access, the more they will hang around.
* Keep protein foods such as Dog Food or Cat Food indoors. Yellow Jackets like to feed off of protein when they don’t have a source of food.
* Making sure all siding and awnings on your home are sealed correctly, leaving Yellow Jackets no entrance space. When they have an entrance they tend to have nests hidden and those are the hardest to get rid of. Be sure to take extra precautions when looking around for these nests. They can be sneaky and slide a stinger in you faster than you can say OUCH!
* Sweets shouldn’t be left outside. Yellow Jackets are highly attracted to sweets. If you drink soda or tea with sugars in them, be sure not to leave them out. If you have ever noticed that when you leave a soda outside and come back to it later, usually there will be some type of bees parading around it.
Methods on how to get rid of yellow jackets without many stings
Remember to always take these steps very seriously and to follow them in the order that you read them. It might sound crazy to put on long sleeves, but you will be thanking this article in the end for saving you the pain. I’m serious. Try it and see how it works. I’m sure you will enjoy the aftermath!
* Find the nest first; you will need to know where they are coming from to ensure that you get rid of all of them. Most Yellow Jackets nest underground, so small holes in the dirt all in a patch is a big sign of them. Also make sure to check siding on your home, trees and different things like that to be sure that there isn’t a nest in a hidden area.
* Next thing is figuring out what is the best way for you to go about how to get rid of yellow jackets. Do you want to use a can of spray, do you want to use gasoline and matches, or even use non-toxic traps that you can buy in the store? Once you figure out the location of the nest then it’s easier to decide the safest way to go about the task. So keep the location in mind when choosing the method of killing.
* Once you have step 1 and 2 figured out, then you should be aware of when the Yellow Jackets are more active. (coming in and out of the nest) You don’t want to get close to a nest that has stirred up Yellow Jackets around it. It’s harder to kill them without a ton of stings if they are stirred up prior to killing them.
* Next you should put on a good thick layer of long sleeve shirts and long pants. Having on protective clothing that is thick will help you to prevent a large amount of stings. Sweat pants and shirts are a good layer of protection. They make it hard for the Yellow Jackets to be able to sting you.
* Remember that it is smarter to get rid of them in early summer because it keeps them from building their colony larger and larger.
* Also if you can wait until a chilly night with temperatures less than 50 degrees, it would be easier to do the task. Yellow Jackets have a hard time flying in temps below 50 F.
Using can sprays when figuring out how to get rid of yellow jackets safely can be very useful
Always make sure that you point the spray hole away from your face and aim it at the nesting site. You wouldn’t want to go blind while trying to kill these horrible pests.
* Be sure to stand back a few feet (aprox. 2-3 ft) from the nest before spraying.
* Spray the nest with a full force spray and be sure to try and get the whole nest. Don’t hesitate, as hesitating usually ends up with a few stings.
* Spraying extremely fast then running away would be my tip to you. Don’t run like your scared, but more like a brisk walk would be a better term for it.
Tip on how to get rid of yellow jackets the safe way
***Be aware, they more than likely will come out and try to attack. If so walk away at a steady fast paste, but don’t run unless you feel the need to. Running may cause them to attack because of the motion of your speed and the heat and sweat you produce while running during a panic.
Using Gasoline and Matches when deciding, how to get rid of yellow jackets safely, can be very useful as well. Please be sure to follow this one exactly by the instructions that are given. I don’t advise anyone to do this without the proper knowledge of how to go about doing this. It can be a very dangerous thing to do. And parents, NEVER let your children take on the responsibility of doing this. Children, never try this, EVER. It’s too dangerous for you to attempt.
* This is one of those things you have to be very careful when doing.
* Have a running water hose nearby when doing this just in case you were to see the fire spreading to unwanted territories.
* First find the nest and make sure there isn’t much bee activity going on or else you are in for a bad hurting.
* Pour gasoline into the holes that are in the dirt (their nest). Do NOT pour anywhere other than the nest.
* Be sure that there is nothing near the site that is flammable, because you wouldn’t want a can of hairspray or anything to explode in your face.
* Also, don’t get gasoline on any part of your body or clothes. If you do you should immediately wash it off and have someone else light it. Gasoline is a serious thing to deal with. It may seem harmless but it isn’t. You should take special precautions when pouring it.
* Next stand back a few feet, approximately 4 to 5 feet, keeping you in the clear of all flames.
* Light a match and immediately throw it at the nesting site, aiming directly to the spot where the gasoline was poured.
* Run away from the fire and allow it to burn but don’t go too far, you will need to put the fire out as soon as you see that it has burned for a few minutes.
* Stay close by when it’s burning and after a few minutes of a good burn, put out the fire with WATER. Do not use anything else to put it out. You may cause a larger fire to break out and you don’t need that. Be sure it’s completely out! No small fires should be left at the site when you walk away.
Using Non-Toxic Traps to answer your question of how to get rid of yellow jackets safely
These traps are probably the last on the list for a reason. I don’t really know much about them, but from what I have heard, they only work well if set before bee season actually begins. But anything is worth a shot, if you are willing to try it.
* Go to a store and buy one or you can even make one at home by simply using honey and apple juice
* Usually you would use these before Yellow Jacket season gets out of hand. Typically at the start of summer.
* These are easy to use when trying to get rid of these trouble making insects. Just sit them out and they will do the rest of the work for you. They don’t require special instructions, which makes this a very simple way to go about the process.
Another tip on how to get rid of yellow jackets without stings
* Make sure to do all of the steps under the method that you chose! It’s easy, just follow the instructions! You shouldn’t have any problems when attempting to kill these pests. They are dangerous and you should always be aware of your surroundings when doing this.
Take Note of the following
* Be sure that if you were to get a few stings, that you go inside and immediately take the stingers out.
* A few ways to get stingers out is to mix a little bit of meat tenderizer with water and rub this on the sting, making it pull the stinger out. Another way is to use dry tobacco and a tiny bit of water and this too will help to pull the stingers out of the infected site. Also if you want to do it the old fashion way, you can go through the agony of pulling them out one by one, using tweezers to gently pull them out. Whatever you choose to do, be sure they all are out. You don’t want the stingers to stay in the skin, causing you to swell and the site to become infected in any way. That would just lead to more issues than you need at this time.
* Never swat at a bee unless you absolutely have NO possible way of getting away safely. If you swat at them, chances are you will just make them angry and they will come back to sting you a million times more. Then you will be questioning yourself, why did they sting me this many times? It’s never fun to tick off an angry yellow jacket. I know from experience.
Did you know
Did you know that many bee stings come from people trying to destroy their nests? Well it’s true. Bees like the saying “If you don’t mess with me, I don’t mess with you.” That’s why I tell you to do this in the early to late evening, making sure that they are in nest and not out stirring around and ready to cause trouble.
ATTENTION ALL SEVERELY ALLERGIC and SLIGHTLY ALLERGIC PEOPLE
Be aware of the following. Always remember to take the extra precautionary steps when attempting these methods of, how to get rid of yellow jackets. It’s very important that not one person that is allergic to them, be outside while you are doing this. It is too big of a risk for someone to take these steps if allergic. Chances are, you could be very slightly allergic and get stung so many times that you go into a more serious reaction that could mean hospitalization or even death. Please be aware of these things. I can’t urge you enough.
If you and all of your other family members or friends are allergic in any way, please call an exterminator to get the job done. It’s always better safe than sorry!
So to make your life a little bit easier, try one of these methods and hopefully you will come out on top! It never hurts to try something, especially if you are in danger and could get rid of that danger pretty quickly. To get the full effects of these methods, you MUST read through them carefully and do them step by step in ORDER. After all you wouldn’t want to light the match and then pour the gasoline onto it. That would cause you to be burned horribly and end up in the hospital with a huge list of bills and a long recovery for the burns.
The answer to, how to get rid of yellow jackets isn’t always easy, but in the end it’s always less painful to you because after they are gone, you are left with no more worries of “Am I going to get stung today?”